Congratulations! You are finished with you orthodontic treatment and have a super smile that you are ready to show off for years to come. In order to keep everything in place and you looking sharp, you must wear your retainers.
Teeth will gradually move throughout your lifetime, no matter how good of an orthodontic result you achieved. Therefore, the only way to ensure they don't move is to follow this simple protocol...all night, every night, for as long as you want to maintain your smile!
Following these instructions will not only help keep your teeth straight, but will also ensure the retainers last for many years:
- Wear your retainers only when sleeping, EVERY night
- When not in your mouth, always place your retainers in the case
- Pets will chew retainers, and there is a fee to replace them. Keep out of reach of all animals!
- Clean retainers thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque, and eliminates odors. Efferdent® or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used but do not take the place of brushing.
- Retainers are breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken call us immediately.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainers, or if your retainers need adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust them yourself.
- Always bring your retainers to your appointments.
- There is a fee to replace a broken retainer, but with proper care they will last for years
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.